Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Gutted
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2156298 - 03/10/07 10:47 AM Re: Gutted [Re: Stanford Tuck]
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune

Loc: London
Somebody (Siggi???) had a website where people were listing their campaign achievements

Yes that cool Dead Is Dead idea, very interesting and no better way of bumping up the immersion. Let's hope he'll do that for BoB because I'll be the first one in. Homecoming it'll be of sorts for some <sigh> Roll on I say

Ming

Top Bookmark and Share
#2156307 - 03/10/07 11:15 AM Re: Gutted [Re: Guderian]
TROOPER117 Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
I think the main difference is that they didn't run into flak and fighters on every mission IRL. Bomber crews did, and many of them didn't survive a 30-mission tour...

(Something like 50% of RAF Bomber Command aircrew were KIA.)

The real statistics for RAF bomber crews were simply awful.
You were more likely to have survived being a junior officer on the Somme back in the First World War, than surviving bomber ops in WWII..
A sobering thought.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2156321 - 03/10/07 12:12 PM Re: Gutted [Re: TROOPER117]
WWSensei Offline

I'm doing a DCG Marianas '44 written by Jasta 5. Flying Hellcats off a carrier so a landing is a nerve wracking as strike mission (for me, my runways IRL were always long and stationary). I'm on mission 31. I have been shot down, but so far it's been engine hits that allowed me to glide back over friendly lines. Bit easier now that the Marines landed and captured a good chunk of one of the islands.

the amazing thing to me is my AI wingman, good ole Selva Wilkins has survived as well. He had to bail once but ended up drifting over and landing at our beachhead. He has actually progressed from Rookie AI to Ace level and does a bang up job keeping my six clear. I hope I haven't jinxed myself now...

Edited by WWSensei (03/10/07 12:12 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2156417 - 03/10/07 03:24 PM Re: Gutted [Re: No105_Ogdens]
Ian Boys Offline

Loc: Broadbottom UK
Originally Posted By: No105_Ogdens
Joey boy would be proud! \:\)

Who de fox hat?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2156733 - 03/11/07 02:21 AM Re: Gutted [Re: WWSensei]
WWSandMan Offline

Loc: Minnesota, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: WWSensei
I'm doing a DCG Marianas '44 written by Jasta 5. Flying Hellcats off a carrier so a landing is a nerve wracking as strike mission ...

I got to mission 12 in that campaign, then got whacked by AAA over the island. No warning, no indication of flak even going up. Think I took the first round right in the tush. I had just started an ntrk of the sortie too... looking back at it I saw no other flak bursts before my plane exploded. Lot's of flak afterwards though.

Interesting landings?? How about attempting a carrier landing while in this condition? :

(click for larger version)

No vertical tail at all thanks to a collision with a Ki-84 (he went down minus a wing). Made it back to the carrier and actually managed to land safely. A bit roughly, but safely, and without bending any more parts.

My chair had an odd cone shape in the center of it after that attempt however...

Wing Walkers (virtual) Combat Squadron

Top Bookmark and Share
#2156963 - 03/11/07 01:40 PM Re: Gutted [Re: WWSandMan]
Mogster Offline

Loc: England
In RL you wouldn't usually become the single target for every enemy aircraft in the vicinity. In DGen IL2 land its the norm and tends to end my DGen campaigns.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2157018 - 03/11/07 03:49 PM Re: Gutted [Re: Ming_EAF19]
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
Somebody (Siggi???) had a website where people were listing their campaign achievements

Yes that cool Dead Is Dead idea, very interesting and no better way of bumping up the immersion. Let's hope he'll do that for BoB because I'll be the first one in. Homecoming it'll be of sorts for some <sigh> Roll on I say

Ming

If by homecoming you mean the fact that the next one is for the Brits, I kind of identify. The upcoming SH4 is for us colonials. Although I in no way enjoyed SH3 any less for me being a German U-boot captain. But if that's not what you meant, then I didn't post this. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share

#2287629 - 08/18/07 06:29 AM Re: Gutted [Re: letterboy1]
LukeFF Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I just lost an excellent Beaufighter campaign I had going. I only had 7 missions to my credit, but in that time I had earned the Defence Medal and knocked out about 30 ground targets. So, what do I do on mission eight? While trying to strafe a Japanese fishing boat I pressed my rocket button instead of the one for cannon (never mind I hadn't even taken rockets on the mission!) and in my bewilderment I clipped the mast of the ship and crashed.

-James 1:19-20

Top Bookmark and Share
#2287676 - 08/18/07 09:32 AM Re: Gutted [Re: WWSandMan]
Ajay Offline
Lifer

Loc: Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: WWSandMan
Originally Posted By: WWSensei
I'm doing a DCG Marianas '44 written by Jasta 5. Flying Hellcats off a carrier so a landing is a nerve wracking as strike mission ...

I got to mission 12 in that campaign, then got whacked by AAA over the island. No warning, no indication of flak even going up. Think I took the first round right in the tush. I had just started an ntrk of the sortie too... looking back at it I saw no other flak bursts before my plane exploded. Lot's of flak afterwards though.

Interesting landings?? How about attempting a carrier landing while in this condition? :

(click for larger version)

No vertical tail at all thanks to a collision with a Ki-84 (he went down minus a wing). Made it back to the carrier and actually managed to land safely. A bit roughly, but safely, and without bending any more parts.

My chair had an odd cone shape in the center of it after that attempt however...

..landing a machine in that condition is worthy of a turtlehead ;\)
Understand your IL2 ini

If all the posts in this forum were laid end to end..we would need a bigger forum

Top Bookmark and Share
#2287721 - 08/18/07 01:04 PM Re: Gutted [Re: letterboy1]
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: letterboy1

If by homecoming you mean the fact that the next one is for the Brits, I kind of identify... But if that's not what you meant, then I didn't post this. \:D
lol

Everything's deniable

A homecoming for EAW refugees rather than a British thing I meant there LB. The ejected and bedraggled EAW early adopters looking for a way out of the Ostfront it's a nightmare over there. But ok flying over Essex estuaries and marshes is a bonus yes you coaxed it out of me

Ming

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.