Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Windows Genuine Advantage question
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2146398 - 02/25/07 08:05 PM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Broadjumper]
Vulgus Offline

Loc: Sacramento California USA
Originally Posted By: Broadjumper
I do it out of respect for the mods and owners of this site. Discussing something like that in full could potentially cause legal issues and could cause problems for them from their hosting service. We don't want that to happen so I wanted to be very careful about what I said. ;\)

Seems a little paranoid to me...

1. There is no discussion of piracy whatsoever happening here.
2. There is no discussion of where to find such info here.
3. The software in question is not even a required update (as in, if you decline it it's not going to deactivate the operating system).
4. There is nothing in the EULA about allowing the OS to phone home beyond it's initial activation.
5. There is nothing in the EULA that mentions anything about any future updates being mandatory.

I can edit my config.sys file if I want to, and legally. And that is part of the operating system - "MS property".

I can delete any system file I want to, and legally. Deleting IO.SYS might not be a good idea, but I can do it, legally, and that is "MS property".

I can delete the entire operating system if I choose to. Legally.

True, there is a "circumvention" topic here, but I do not see where it's circumventing anything illegaly, or even unethically.

All that said - I've never had a problem with WGA and thus no need to mess with it.

Edited by Vulgus (02/25/07 08:10 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146400 - 02/25/07 08:13 PM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Vulgus]
Broadjumper Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Vulgus

Seems a little paranoid to me...

No paranoia here. Discussions like this can easily lead to piracy discussions. You're the one that took the leap. ;\) I have several legal copies of XP and I've had WGA do a number on me on one of my computers.

Edited by Broadjumper (02/26/07 01:30 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2146423 - 02/25/07 09:06 PM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Broadjumper]
BeachAV8R Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor
Lifer

Loc: Charlotte, NC USA
Once again..I would remind people that have problems with our anti-photo and anti-piracy thread rules that it isn't whether or not they are legal or illegal or not. If SimHQ got sued and won in court it would still be an expensive process to go through. No matter whether we occupy the moral and/or legal highground..it doesn't matter..you get sued..it costs you money..whether you are right or wrong. I don't speak for guod..but I'm sure he would rather just not have to go through that hassle.. \:\)

Thanks for your discretion..whether it appears paranoid or not.. \:\)

BeachAV8R

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146470 - 02/25/07 10:48 PM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: BeachAV8R]
Vulgus Offline

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Once again..I would remind people that have problems with our anti-photo and anti-piracy thread rules that it isn't whether or not they are legal or illegal or not. If SimHQ got sued and won in court it would still be an expensive process to go through. No matter whether we occupy the moral and/or legal highground..it doesn't matter..you get sued..it costs you money..whether you are right or wrong. I don't speak for guod..but I'm sure he would rather just not have to go through that hassle.. \:\)

Thanks for your discretion..whether it appears paranoid or not.. \:\)

BeachAV8R

Yet he mentions out loud in his next post he's circumvented XP product activation - which IS illegal.

The definition of "discretion" obviously eludes me here lol...

Edited by Vulgus (02/25/07 10:48 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146512 - 02/26/07 12:14 AM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Vulgus]
BeachAV8R Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor
Lifer

Loc: Charlotte, NC USA
Yet he mentions out loud in his next post he's circumvented XP product activation - which IS illegal.

I broke the speed limit 10 times today...that is illegal but we don't prohibit discussion about it.

Quote:
The definition of "discretion" obviously eludes me here lol...

Well..it isn't an exact science. But if you have a question and need me to help you get past your confusion, feel free to PM me.

BeachAV8R

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146555 - 02/26/07 01:31 AM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: BeachAV8R]
Broadjumper Offline

I've changed my post so it doesn't cause any problems. Also to dissuade Vulgus from attempting to point fingers and start an argument.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146660 - 02/26/07 06:58 AM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Broadjumper]
Vulgus Offline

I was just poking a little fun, nothing more.

I don't get into arguments about site moderation.

And I'm certainly not going to jump down your throat for doing things I've done.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2147239 - 02/26/07 11:21 PM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Vulgus]
Broadjumper Offline

And I'm certainly not going to jump down your throat for doing things I've done.

So you've been asked to leave the bar because you were dancing on pool table in your underwear? ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2147377 - 02/27/07 03:29 AM Re: Windows Genuine Advantage question [Re: Broadjumper]
coasty Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC, USA
Just to clarify, I have fully legal software and am not trying to circumvent anything, and am not particularly paranoid, generally accepting whatever MS says I need to remain up to date. The question originated because this has never been a problem for Zone Alarm, in the respect that it never notified be of any activity related to WGA, which has been on my systems for quite some time. My laptop with the same update, and the same zone alarm installed did not sound the alarm.
To deal with the notices I just went to programs and made WGA trusted status, and no more notices.
I was more curious with what the changes were. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt BeachAV8R.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.