Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2051707 - 01/23/06 05:55 PM Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Chaser617 Offline

Loc: Wilmore, Ky
July 31st, 1974, United Nations

The Soviet Union today filed a protest against the United States for their recent 'live fire' test of the new XAIM-97A "Seekbat" Long Range Air to Air Missile in its secondary Anti-Satallite or 'ASAT' roll.

"If the United States wishes to keep distabalizing international relations by deploying such provocative Weapons, the Soviet Union will have no choice but to respond harshly." The Soviet Union's representitive to the UN declared.

"The Soviet Union's grounds for protestation of the deployment of the missile in question is completely baseless," US representative responded. "At no time did the missile overfly Soviet territory or endager soviet assests. The Seekbat Missile was designed to destroy bombers at long range and intercept low-eart-orbit satalites over the United States, purely a defensive weapon."

The Soviet Union however, claims that the weapon could be used to destroy vital communications satallites and other important orbital assets, making it a dangerous and unstable weapon.

The XAIM-97A "Seekbat" is an air-launched missile based on the United States Navy's SM-1 'Standard' missile. It has an undisclosed range of fifty miles against aircraft and can engage Low Earth Orbit stallites. The rescent test carried out by the United States Air Force involved a modified Convair F-106A "Delta Dart" interceptor of the 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron launching a missile at a target launched from Vandenburg Air Force Base the week before. The test was deemed successful when the missile intercepted and destroyed the target satallite.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051708 - 01/23/06 06:30 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Crop-Duster Offline

Loc: Gatineau(Hull), QC, Canada eh
I file a Protest on those weird looking Mach diamonds on that missle :p

Top Bookmark and Share

#2051709 - 01/23/06 07:28 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Jedi Master Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
Those aren't shock diamonds, they're shock crescent moons, along with shock hearts, stars, clovers, and horseshoes.

Lucky shock diamonds, they're magically alluring!

Funny thing is I only remember the F-15-based tests for ASAT launches.

The Jedi Master

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051710 - 01/23/06 07:52 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
column5 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Nice work chaser!

My God though, this is sure to stir up the rigid-historical-accuracy mod-Nazis. :p

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051711 - 01/23/06 08:03 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Chaser617 Offline

The XAIM-97A was a real missile, and was constructed using both SM-1 and AGM-78 airframes according to data I've been able to dig up, it was developed in the early 70s to help defet LEO recon sats, and to be a long-range intercept missile. It was about a decade ahead of the ASAT that was to be deployed on the F-15A. The intended carry aircraft were to be specially modified F-106A Delta Darts and in some records, F-4E Phantom IIs. The Seekbat was actually fired several times in its LRAAM function, but never was test fired in in its LEOASAT mission.

Unfortunately, I can't get the proper mount for the Seekbat on the F-106A to work, through *ABSOLUTLEY NO FAULT OF THE SIX TEAM* because the Seekbat was intended to be loaded on the same pylons that the fuel tanks use. Thus, they cannot be loaded to the pylons without the fuel tanks showing up over them since the tanks are actually part of the model. Untill I can figure out an acceptable work-around for that, the Seekbat is mounted on the centerline weapons station in the bay, causing more interesting problems, but, hey, I needed a test aircraft. \:\)

When the weapons Team validates the weapon data I plan on releasing a mod for the F-4E to allow it to be armed with the Seekbat.

Unfortunately I'm still working on LEOSATS for the thing to be used on.....

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051712 - 01/23/06 08:06 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
TheChief Offline

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
I don't mind stuff that isn't historically accurate as long as I know it isn't supposed to be.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051713 - 01/23/06 09:04 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
HrntFixr Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by TheChief:
I don't mind stuff that isn't historically accurate as long as I know it isn't supposed to be.
Bout sum's it up for me too.

Is it better to remain silent and let them think your stupid...or open your mouth and remove all doubt???

Fist Of The Fleet - Your one stop shop for USN Attack skins for SFP1 and WOV

Top Bookmark and Share

#2051714 - 01/23/06 11:46 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Delta6 Offline

Loc: xx
In October 1971 the Space & Missile Systems Office informed HQ USAF that a Modified AGM-78 was a feasible ASAT weapon for F-4s & F-106s, and Seekbat was born. I have several pictures of the 106 with the XAIM-97A, and also read about it being used against MIG-25s. But I never read anything about a ASAT "live fire" test. Can you give us your info link??

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051715 - 01/23/06 11:47 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Delta6 Offline

Loc: xx
Correction "That it could be used against MIG-25s"...

Top Bookmark and Share
#2051716 - 01/23/06 11:52 PM Re: Soviets file Protest over USAF ASAT Test....
Chaser617 Offline

*chuckles* this was a fictional AP announcement, I'm sorry I thought this was obvious. If not that's my fault. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.