Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Okay, said I'd follow up and...
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2042660 - 11/07/05 03:21 PM Okay, said I'd follow up and...
531 Ghost Offline

Loc: MCAS Camp Pendleton
here ya go. Couldn't find the original thread so I'll post it here, sorry.

e-mail recieved:

Ken,

Here is the information I dug up for the years of 62 and 63. Apparently 531 did not get down to Key West until Feb of 63, just after the days in October.

I hope this helped

Paul D. Hosick

Effective 19 March VMF(AW)-531 became the first East Coast Marine fighter squadron scheduled to transition to the Phantom II, checking in with the USN's VF-101 Replacement Air Group squadron at NAS Oceana, Virginia. Maintenance personnel were sent to a number of the Navy training schools to retrain on the new systems. Aircrews, including introducing the Radar Intercept Operator's (RIO) position and personnel to the squadron roster, underwent extensive transition training in the new two-seat fighter. In June/July, VMF(AW)-531 took delivery of their first F4H-1.

An F4H-1 (unknown Bureau Number) is listed as a strike on 29 May when the pilot ran out of fuel just short of landing; the aircrew was seriously injured and the aircraft a strike. (Possible aircrewman: 1 LT H. Albright.)

By September, the squadron had sufficient assets at their home base, MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina, to commence their Phase I training program. The squadron was, however, slowed down by a lack of NAMT School and Weapons Systems Training (WST) billets.

Effective 18 September, the F4H-1 was dedesignated the F-4B Phantom II.

On 2 November, F-4B 149462 suffered a double generator failure (Ram Air Turbine, RAT, failed to function as advertised) and crashed 30-mi/48-km north of MCAS Cherry Point. British exchange pilot Squadron Leader Ian B. Hamilton, pilot/CAPT Dan Benn, RIO, made the first successful USMC squadron-level ejections.

When VMF(AW)-531 deployed to NAS Key West, Florida, in early February, they became the first USMC fighter squadron to Join the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) Detachment 14 air defense Hot Pad alert duty. This alert duty had been initiated in response to the post-1962 Cuban Missile Crisis military build-up. At NAS Key West, the squadron maintained a 24-hour alert status with the alert shack situated just 50-ft/15.3-m from the aircraft. The alert pad routinely held four F-4B abreast, which made many actual scrambles within 150 seconds from alarm to launch. On one such scramble, one report has the USMC F-4B engaging Cuban Air Force MiG-17 fighters, NATO designated Fresco. While no shots were fired, the F-4B pilots may well have learned first hand about the MiG-17's maneuverability and fflexibility. If confirmed, this event represents the first actual F-4 v. enemy fighter engagement.
The deployment concluded and the squadron returned home in June. For their role, the squadron personnel received a Letter of Appreciation from the Commanding General, NORAD Southwest U.S. Defense Sector.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2042661 - 11/07/05 06:25 PM Re: Okay, said I'd follow up and...
KillerBee Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee
531 Ghost,
The reason We didn't add VMFA-531 was by what You just confirmed above. I also did a Search on the Squadron and came to the same information. Anyway, with this being a "What-If", You could very well add a F-4B with 531 Markings. I can't recall if USAFMTL extended the Campaign into 63-64', But You could subsistute it in for a Marine Squadron or Make a Custom Mission reacting the Engagement Above. Anyhow, It's Your Copy Marine, And You can add VMFA-531 to it anytime You want.

SEMPER FI!

MARINE AIR
On Time Delivery

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.