Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2023610 - 12/11/06 05:06 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
RocketDog Offline

Loc: Bath, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Philips CD-RW:

Someone at my gliding club, about fifteen years ago, wrecked our Tiger Moth by hauling it off the ground before it reached proper flying speed. The glider it was aerotowing (I never suspected it was possible with a Moth!) released the tow-rope in a hurry and landed back on the field with no hassle, but the doofus in the Moth was stuck, mushing forwards at about 40kts at a high angle of attack - couldn't put the stick forwards or he'd hit the ground, couldn't climb or accelerate... he mushed the aircraft through 180° and pushed it between two trees, removing all the wings and writing it off...

I think he was taken off the instructor roster quite quickly after that! [/QB]
Was that the Bath Wilts & North Dorset Club flying from the Park? I'm a member and I've heard this story. Poor wingless Tiggy.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023611 - 12/11/06 09:17 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Capt.LoneRanger Offline

Loc: Germany
To compare Crysis and BoB might look like comparing apples and oranges on first sight, but very down to the bottom of things, it is not. It is a question of the engine used and for some odd reason, Oleg decided to programm BoB for OpenGL again.

Sure, that means it runs with less problems on a wider array of machines and rendering is usually faster, but the effects and the quality of which are much worse, especially since HDR is optimized for DX, if it even works for OpenGL.
I got a friend in the game-developing-genre, working on different titles as 3D-artist, and his company convinced several programming teams to use DX instead of OpenGL, just for the reason that the same effect can be accomplished with much less work and with a better outcome.

So, AfterEffect rendering like we'll see in Crysis probably won't work in BoB. On the other hand, who knows what Olegs team is able to do with the OpenGL-routines. Remember, the screens are early alpha, the Crysis-Engine is ready for a few month, now.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2023612 - 12/12/06 01:30 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
eonel Offline

Loc: Zurich, Switzerland
bump

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023613 - 12/12/06 05:05 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Undo Offline

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Quote:
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

So, AfterEffect rendering like we'll see in Crysis probably won't work in BoB.
Thank the gods. The post process effects are way too overdone on most games. Blooming is cool, but I won't miss it a bit.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023614 - 12/15/06 01:43 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Bearcat99 Offline

Loc: NVa. USA
I could never understand the fixation with legs in the pit..... If we do have legs in the pit... does that mean they may be spattered with gore if we take a hit?

I like the new trees.. looks like no more pancakes.... and it looks like the houses will be more to scale as well. Im looking forward to the next series .....

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023615 - 12/15/06 01:59 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
eonel Offline

Loc: Zurich, Switzerland
Today, being the 15th, is the UK release date...... and guess what I hold in my grubby little hands.....now got to find an excuse to leave work early.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023616 - 12/15/06 03:39 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune

Loc: London
I feel mysteriously unwell in one hour

'Crystal Ball' Ming

Top Bookmark and Share

#2023617 - 12/15/06 03:54 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
609 Avatar Offline

Loc: CT, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming_EAF19:
I feel mysteriously unwell in one hour
You are starting to look a little pale... Is your temp doing okay? It's my professional opinion that lots of rest at home is in order! Nothing strenuous, mind you, but I think sitting in front of your computer at home with mild entertainment may be suitable... ;\)

ASUS P5N32-E Plus, Core 2 Duo E6850, EVGA 8800GTX 175.19s, 2 Raptor 74gb & 150gb, 2 SATA 200gb, 2gb Corsair DDR2800, OCZ 700W PS, HP DVD-RW, X-Fi 64mb Pro, 22" NEC Fe2111SB, XP SP2, Tai Chi watercooled case

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023618 - 12/15/06 04:15 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
Freycinet Offline

let's get this thread off p. 8, those damn' big images are ruining the reading pleasure... - And let's hear your take on 1946 guys!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2023619 - 12/15/06 04:24 PM Re: Got it (+ BoB dvd screenies) --- (+ OLEG comments p. 4, 6 etc...) ---
wallaby Offline

Loc: Mexico
Swelnet, The sun in one of those Crysis pics looks fake. And I concure with most people here, in fact the way the sun looks right now (4.05) is awesome and more that enough for me. Trees are nice but not indispensable, unless you plan to do a Helo sim like Black Shark trees and obstacles for cover are a must.

I vouch for a more advanced FM and there is something... a feel of being flying in vast volumes of air that has to be reached eventualy.

BTW Mr.Maddox thanks for doing this kind of game, even though arcade stuff apeals to the majority, that means a lot to geeks like us.

Salute!

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.