Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » DCG for Dummies?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1928150 - 08/20/05 12:30 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Anton8 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hmm.

That's not happening. The DCG screen says

"Warning: No active campaign. Please create or select a campaign."

I also notice that every time I run the DCG prog, the "Replace In Game Generator (DGen)" option is toggled off - even though I left it on and did not change it prior to that.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928151 - 08/20/05 02:21 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Lowengrin Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C. Canada
Did you install DCG to it's own folder...? (Good.) Or did you install it in your game folder? (Bad.)

If you did the latter, reinstall it to it's own folder. That's all I can think of off the top of my head for it resetting all the time.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1928152 - 08/20/05 03:06 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Anton8 Offline

It's got it's own folder.

Frustrating because the missions I have seen are pretty good. I like it better than DGen already.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928153 - 08/20/05 06:39 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Lowengrin Offline

Check that the dcg.ini file is not "read only". If it is, make it not read only. Or just delete it.

It's possible you set the whole dcg folder to read only, in which case you should make it and all files in it writable.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928154 - 08/20/05 10:35 PM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Anton8 Offline

Checked all of the files, and none of them are read-only.

Is it s problem that I have it on my D drive? IL2/FB is in D:/!IL2-FB-AEP-PF and DCG is in !IL2FB DCG. I have run FB that way for six or seven months with no problem at all. I put the ! in there to keep those folders at the top... don't know if it is a problem or not.

Does FB need to be running for DCG to "find" the campaign? Does DCG need to be running the entire time FB is running?

My specs are (if it might help...)

Intel P4 w/HT Tech 3GHz, 1.5Gig PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Win XP Home
FX5600

I'm sorta at my wits end on this...

edit: Oh, a coupla more things...

There are now 2 new icons on my desktop that have the green box with "DCG IL*2" on them. I didn't put them there. one is labelled "dgen_bak" and the other is labelled "DGen". If I click on either of them, I get DCG to run... with that pesky "No Message File Found" message first. What the heck does that message mean?

To run DCG, I use a shortcut from the DCG folder I set up.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928155 - 08/20/05 11:45 PM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Anton8 Offline

Uninstalled it.

Now I can't even run stock campaigns...
Time to re-install IL2/FB.

What was I thinking...?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928156 - 08/21/05 12:12 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Lowengrin Offline

Somehow, and I don't know how, your DCG got pointed to your desktop rather than your game folder.

Reinstalling is over-kill. All you need to do is reset the path in DCG to point at your game folder. Run DCG and under "Files" select "Game Program Location" and browse till you get to your il2.exe or pf.exe or whatever exe you can find in your main game folder.

Then you should be able to uncheck the "Full Auto Replace" mode and restore the stock DGen and your game should be back to normal.

Alternatively, you can run Windows Explorer and browse to your game folder, delete the DGen.exe that has a DCG icon and then rename the DGen_bak.exe to DGen.exe.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1928157 - 08/21/05 12:20 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Tailspin 2 Offline

If you haven't uninstalled IL2/FB yet, find the DGen.bak file in the main IL2/FB folder and rename it to DGen.exe. DCG always makes a backup of the default DGen engine.

You should be able to run stock campaigns then and hopefully you can still run your default campaigns without having to reinstall.

Sounds like something got really hose. Not sure what happened.

Put FB on your D drive but leave the default name. No unusual characters. If you need to get to it clickly, right click on the main folder and create a shortcut that you can drag to your desktop or put in the Quick Launch toolbar.

In the same drive, add a DCG folder and then unzip the DCG files into the folder. I normally keep my DCG folder in the main IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles folder. I just call it DCG. Then I just create a shortcut to that folder.

When DCG creates a campaign, it puts a notation in its campaign.dcg file as to where the data files for the campaign are located. So once you run and finish a campaign mission, DCG should be pointed to that campaign when you open up DCG to make changes or generate a mission if you aren't using automatic modes.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928158 - 08/21/05 02:03 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Anton8 Offline

I haven't started the re-install of the whole IL2/FB shebang. Don't have the energy tonight, lol.

Posted by Lowengrin:
"Run DCG and under "Files" select "Game Program Location" and browse till you get to your il2.exe or pf.exe or whatever exe you can find in your main game folder."

I did this a couple of times as well. I figured something might have been up with that, so I tried it. No change.

Currently, DCG is fully un-installed (according to the directions on the website). I had an icon in my il2/missions folder that was the DCG icon, but labelled DGen. I deleted that one and renamed the dgen_bak to dgen. I now have my stock campaign back. Thanks for the tip. I did read that one earlier, but was nervous deleting a .exe that was labelled DGen. As it is, it worked OK.

Thing is, I'd really like to get DCG running correctly. I will remove the odd character from the IL2/FB folder. I will also set up a new DCG folder within the IL2/FB folder I have.

And what is that "No Message File Found" message anyway? Is that a normal message? It shows right when I start DCG, before the DCG screen even opens.

I really don't want to give up on this. I liked what I saw. \:\) While I am smart enough to have accomplished a lot in my life, I don't doubt that I am missing something small but important.

Thanks for the help guys.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1928159 - 08/21/05 05:00 AM Re: DCG for Dummies?
Lowengrin Offline

The "No message file found" means there is something wrong with your initial program paths. If you dare reinstall DCG, the first thing it asks when you run it is to set the path to DCG itself and to the game's main folder. If the path to DCG is wrong, it won't find the "messages.dcg" file.

If you open the DCG.ini file after running it once (which you'll find in the main DCG folder), the entries should look something like this:

C:\Games\IL2DCG\
C:\Games\IL2DCG\Crimea41\
C:\Games\IL2 Sturmovik\
One
Four
Three
Four
Sparse
Full
Full
Campaign Defaults
50 Kilometers

The very first is the path to the DCG.EXE file. The second is to the campaign you're currently flying (so you might have this blank to begin with). The third should be the path to your IL2.EXE (or FB.EXE or PF.EXE, etc.). If these aren't set up right, you'll get no end of misery.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.