Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Page 3 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 63 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1805022 - 11/30/05 10:52 PM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
adlabs6 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Clonetrooper:
Darth Sidious, the last scion of the Sith after he killed off Darth Plagueis...
That is exactly the conclusion I felt was implied in each viewing of the ROTS.

Also, I often thought that despite Lucas' desire to reveal what Jedi actually "do", he really showed very little of this area in the prequils. He showed that they sit in circles, get confused, practice with lightsabers and image panels, but otherwise there's just not alot brought to light about Jedi duty during the peaceful republic.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805023 - 11/30/05 10:56 PM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Razorback Offline
Lifer

Loc: Member # 118
Quote:
Originally posted by No457_Squog:
When are episodes 7, 8 & 9 coming out?

S!
They are not. Next!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Nephilim:
I been thinking of getting into the Star
Wars Series but I am not sure about a few things??

1. What one to get?? I saw several at the store ( I am up for Suggestion.)
2. Do you have to pay to play??

I am ABSOLUTE NOOB here to the SW Online gaming!!
I would not recommend Star Wars Galaxies (pay-per-month to play). However, a good game is KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC (1 and/or 2). It is a RPG but not online. For online multiplayer gaming, I do recommend STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2. It is not a very complex game but I enjoy it.

NEXT!

Quote:
Originally posted by PanzerMeyer:
Why did Obi-Wan tell Anakin during their duel at the end of ROTS "Only a Sith believes in absolutes"?

That statement makes no sense. More than anyone else in the SW universe, the Jedi truly believe in absolutes when it comes to their ethical standards and behavior. And in fact, the Sith don't believe in absolutes. They believe in embracing ALL aspects of the Force; both good and bad. It's almost as if George Lucas is equating believing in absolutes to evil.
I think you almost got the point. Both the Jedi and Sith deal in absolutes. They each ignore their own in favor of judging the other. Lucas is saying that there is a thin line of ocean between good and evil and that point-of-view is the surf board.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skycat:
"How do you explain this to your imaginary girlfriend?" -- Triumph vs. Star Wars Geeks video.
You are mean spirited, but I would say a majority of Star Wars fans love that video. It is hilarious.

NEXT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Colt40Five:
I am of two minds...

Either Amidala's stuff was not so good (allowing Anakin the freedom to force-choke her and to prefer ruling the galaxy to shacking up on Naboo).
Or it was too good and his brain is so addled by it that we get:

Palpatine: "C'mon over to the DS and together we'll keep that puddy tat purrin'!"

Anakin: "Oh, yeah alright then."

And why did Yoda just limp on off...doesn't a sith Lord deserve a fight to the death? I mean the balance of the Force is at stake, what else is higher on a Jedi's list of things to die fighting for!?!?
Yoda realized that he could not defeat Sidious on his terms. He had to wait for the right opportunity.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackMage11:
How much weight would you place upon the Imperial Navy for failing to corral the Rebellion when it had the opportunity?

Also, would you attribute the technological inferiority in starfighters, particularly between the X-Wing and the TIE Fighter, to the Empire's major defeats?
The Imperial Navy didn't take the rebellion all that seriously until after the destruction of the Death Star. That is not to say that they didn't think them a threat, but they thought them more of a threat to their propaganda machine. As for the technological inferiority of the empire when compared with the rebellion... I point you to the real world and how one former super power thought that cheaper but more was better than fewer but better. \:\)

RB
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws... encourage... homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Jefferson

Top Bookmark and Share

#1805024 - 11/30/05 10:59 PM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Goodwood Offline
Lifer

Loc: Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Adlabs,

What is even more interesting is that in the Knights of the Old Republic games (KOTOR II in particular), a lot of little bits of insight into just how the Republic was turned into the Empire by Sidious/Palpatine are given. They're not that hard to find; Kreia is the largest source of such tidbits, and they're well worth looking into in my opinion.

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805025 - 11/30/05 11:19 PM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackMage11:
How much weight would you place upon the Imperial Navy for failing to corral the Rebellion when it had the opportunity?

Hubris which comes with near total dominance of the known universe is probably what contributed the most to the failure. Another reason could also be the gross incompetence of many of the star destroyer captains mostly due to the utter fear they were constantly in because one mistake meant possible Force Choke death by Vader. This meant that many star destroyer captains played it safe and were not able to utilize their full leadership abilities. You can find many historical examples of this as well. Perhaps the best one is the American Revolution. How can a ragtag army of 5,000 men and an almost non-existent navy defeat one of the most powerful armies and navies of that time? In fact, I see plenty of parallels between the original Star Wars trilogy and the American Revolution but I am starting to digress.... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805026 - 11/30/05 11:28 PM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Quote:
Adlabs,

Kreia is the largest source of such tidbits, and they're well worth looking into in my opinion.
In my opinion, Kreia is probably the single best and most well-developed character from either of the KOTOR games. A VERY close second is HK-47.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805027 - 12/01/05 12:40 AM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer

Loc: Washington state
Quote:

That said, the TIE Fighter, and its later variants, could be deadly dogfighters in the right hands. It was more maneuverable and faster then the X-wing; even though one-on-one the X-wing was the superior starfighter overall
Bah!! we all know the X-Wing's flight model is porked. I have proof!! ;\)

Fan of anyone in Nascar not driving a Camry.

Wondering around in the aftermath of Black Mesa East.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805028 - 12/01/05 12:41 AM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Goodwood Offline
Lifer

Loc: Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Fire up SW:BFII and prove me wrong... \:\)

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Top Bookmark and Share

#1805029 - 12/01/05 01:32 AM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Patrocles Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Did any of the books have imperial stardestroyer captains taking their ship/fleet over to the rebel side? In this galactic civil war I always thought it would be a nice touch to see some stardestroyers fighting for the rebels.
\:\)
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
-Rudyard Kipling

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805030 - 12/01/05 01:36 AM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Patrocles Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
oh, more a rhetorical question...
Why are all the SW games I've played ("SW Battlefront" and the Xwing universe(?) very weak in actually portraying the Star Wars universe? These games appeared to be so heavily modded to appeal to the hyper-active, extreme, caffeine to the vein crowd instead of looking anything like the action from the films. Soldiers bunnyhop, ships turn on a dime, etc, etc...very weak.
\:D
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
-Rudyard Kipling

Top Bookmark and Share
#1805031 - 12/01/05 01:42 AM Re: The Official Star Wars Discussion Thread With Your Host, Goodwood!
Razorback Offline
Lifer

Loc: Member # 118
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrocles:
oh, more a rhetorical question...
Why are all the SW games I've played ("SW Battlefront" and the Xwing universe(?) very weak in actually portraying the Star Wars universe? These games appeared to be so heavily modded to appeal to the hyper-active, extreme, caffeine to the vein crowd instead of looking anything like the action from the films. Soldiers bunnyhop, ships turn on a dime, etc, etc...very weak.
\:D
Yes... because Star Wars is soooooo realistic. ;\)

RB
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws... encourage... homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Jefferson

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62 63 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.