Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Just got run out of town..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#143593 - 09/12/03 07:42 PM Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

Loc: NJ USA
by a bunch of wasps or something in that family of critters.

Preparing to close the pool I was moving some bricks that ended up in a bunch of grass and weeds at the far end, I use them to anchor the cover until I get it tied down.

All of a sudden I get swarmed by wasps that had a nest in the area, running around like a cartoon character I got bit in the eyelid and when back in the house one more that was on my shirt got me in the forehead, got an eye that looks like Mike Tyson whacked me and a bump on the forehead, both hurt like hell, few beers soothed the pain.

Here's the rub, I went back after a while with my trusty can of high powered long range spray and no sooner had I given them a shot they chased me back in the house. Captive in my own domain.

No more co-existence, I have lived with mud wasps in my shed, yellow jackets behind my shutters, boreing bees in my wood fence, scorched earth policy from here on in.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143594 - 09/12/03 07:46 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Top Gun Offline
Lifer

Loc: Roch-Vegas NH
yep, wait till tonight for the cool temps so they're not active ;\)

Then burn the Fukkers! ;\)
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8

Top Bookmark and Share

#143595 - 09/12/03 07:48 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dam Hank hope your ok, yeah bugs i can't stand em, lol at least the moths didn't fight back. \:\)
Flame em!

Top Bookmark and Share
#143596 - 09/12/03 08:09 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

As to OK I have been stung before so I guess an allergy is not a problem, just got a little more aged looking.

Funny thing, I have had a huge spider that lived in a web near a chimney who I fed bugs to, my wife thought I was nuts, a groundhog, chipmunks and a million squirrells and naturally birds who live in the yard but nothing ever attacks but the damn wasps and hornets.

It isn't going to be actual scorched earth, just chemical warfare as soon as the wind dies down.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143597 - 09/12/03 08:12 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
Heh heh, Chemical Hank. Before you know it, PETA will come to inspect for weapons of mass distruction. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#143598 - 09/12/03 08:24 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

As long as my picture does not show up on a deck of cards, I can handle PETA, don't know about the 3rd Division. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#143599 - 09/12/03 08:30 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Electra Offline

Loc: Arizona
sounds like you need one of those WW2 Bangalore thingies...

Harold Kahler, O4 USAF F-105D, Lincoln NE, MIA 6/14/69 LAOS
GBNF

Top Bookmark and Share

#143600 - 09/12/03 08:35 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can of hair spray + Zippo

VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH.

\:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#143601 - 09/12/03 09:25 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
usa320 Offline

Loc: US
bAH...HAIRSPRAY FLAMETHROWERS ARE FOR KIDS...what you need is a propane torch. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#143602 - 09/12/03 10:26 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

No way to get close with a torch unless it was a backpack WW2 type.

Sitting on the back step watching the nest area with a pair of binocs feeling like Patton, "Rommel, I read your book"... I really pissed these guys off, they are running around like they own the place, totally stopped my planned progress for today and it's suppossed to rain tommorow, my head and eye hurts, sometimes nature sucks.

When I get my turn... it will smell like insectiside in the morning, it will smell like victory...too hung up on films. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#143603 - 09/12/03 10:45 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Propane doesn't have the spread or range of a hair spray torch.
haha lol Hank, i love the smell of insectiside in the mornin. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#143604 - 09/12/03 11:38 PM Re: Just got run out of town..
Broamanov Offline

Loc: The Georgia Swamps.
I had a bee sting once right above my left eye argh!

As to Chemical Weaponry...

Back in the blissful days before we knew of Freon's ozone depleting effects; my father nuked a paper wasp nest with the stuff. I was about 7 and remember the event vividly. The wasps broke when the hit the ground.

Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have!

Top Bookmark and Share
#143605 - 09/13/03 12:00 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Murphy Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan, USA
You've got to wait them out Hank. Turn into a wise old 'Nightfighter', with a small flashlight (used sparingly).
They can't see at night too well, and all return to the nest after dark. Don't kill em' one by one....wait your turn, and kill them all, like the ol' bull... \:D .
Nuke em while their inside at midnight, and you'll not only kill them all, most importantly....you'll have no casualties on your side ;\) .

Top Bookmark and Share
#143606 - 09/13/03 12:08 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Murphy Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan, USA
And by the way Hank...the bad news....

The wife was stung 8 times by yellow jackets when she stepped on a nest while cutting wood.
We were about a quarter mile from the house...with only our 'tractor' as a 'getaway' vehicle....lol..
I was pulling them off her and driving at the same time. They chased us for about 300 yards.
She just advised me, you will feel the sting for...."weeks".... \:\( .

Top Bookmark and Share
#143607 - 09/13/03 12:24 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

Thanks Murph, waiting patiently for nightfall, armed with the latest and greatest in chem warfare and plenty of artificial light, to be used sparingly.

Other than being attacked by a mountain lion or a grizzley I can't think of anything more chaotic in our everyday north american lives than having a swarm chasing you.....I live ten miles from NYC via the Geo. Washington Bridge, I should not have to be worried about being attacked by the critters who live in my backyard...the sun is down...off to kill the little thankless bastages.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143608 - 09/13/03 12:33 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
TDog Offline

Loc: WI, USA
OOOOO, OOOOO, OOOOOOOO! (Horshack, from Wellcome Back Kotter \:\) )

I just went throught this last week. My wife was pulling some weeds around the base of the foundation when she was attacked. Got stung 3 times, once on top of her head, right through her hair! After some searching around I actually found 4 nests all around the house.

After doing some serious Googling, I learned quite a bit. Bees and most kinds of wasps will only attack you if you are actively raiding a hive. Yellowjackets, a member of the wasp family, will attack with very little provocation. If they are nesting in the ground, they are almost certainly Yellowjackets.

You need to locate EXACTLY where the entrance to the hive is. Then as others have said, you need to wait untill after dark. All the workers will be back in the hive then. If you need a light, tape something red over the lens. Apparently they can't see red, but will attack a light source. Just take a full can of hornet and wasp killer, stick the nozzle right in the entrance and empty the can in it. Actually, apparently the best thing to use is a non-wetting powder, but I used the spray and it worked well.

Good Luck!

Personal - http://www.myspace.com/tdog2112
Current Band - http://www.myspace.com/jumpingparker

Top Bookmark and Share
#143609 - 09/13/03 12:38 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
TDog Offline

Loc: WI, USA
And by the way, the wife says Benadrill works wonders!

Personal - http://www.myspace.com/tdog2112
Current Band - http://www.myspace.com/jumpingparker

Top Bookmark and Share
#143610 - 09/13/03 12:56 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
gbarclay Offline

Loc: Surrey BC Canada [West Coast]
I read somwhere that Killer bees were invading the USA. Yikes. They are apparently very aggresive.

Last year I just walked out the back door, minding my own business, not bothering anybody or anything, and ZAP I got stung behind my ear.
My god it hurt like hell for a couple of days.
But we got 'm good. Found a nest about 20 feet away in the roof sofit.
He he, after dark I got my wife to go up on a ladder and spray the nest with wasp killer.

Been terrified of bees and wasps ever since I was 4 years old when a wasp flew up my shot pants leg and stung me several times.
My older brother grabbed me and proceeded to whack me on the bum very hard several times trying to kill it. I recall that hurt too but he seemd to enjoy it.
Didn't know, whether to hug him or kick him.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143611 - 09/13/03 01:29 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
bigbird Offline

Loc: Nottingham, NH USA
Quote:
And by the way, the wife says Benadrill works wonders!
Oh yes. Works wonders. I machete'd into a nest of White-Faced wasps while cutting line on a surveying crew once. My buddy and I ran about 300 yards when the nest empty towards us. As soon as we stopped, we both got stung. The bhastards chased us!

Top Bookmark and Share
#143612 - 09/13/03 01:45 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Hankmc Offline

Well the eye swelling has gone down, the head shot has stopped hurting and as of nightfall the offenders, as innocent as they were in just doing what they do, have been dispatched to the great bug here after.

Life must go on, and after all I do pay the taxes and upkeep on the property that we tried to share, who's next?.... ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#143613 - 09/13/03 01:53 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
bigbird Offline

Loc: Nottingham, NH USA
I didn't like the way that chipmunk was eyeballing me this evening.............

Top Bookmark and Share
#143614 - 09/13/03 04:42 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Anonymous
Unregistered

ROFLMAO! Hank, I just had a run in with those big yellow jacket, bumblebee, fat, furry black and yellow ones. I don't know what their official name is.

When you go back out there, please have your wife standing by in a safe place with a clear field of view, equipped with a video cam. I need a movie of you hauling a*s for the back door with the swarm after you, LOL!

Think of it this way, you could send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos and maybe pick up $100000! LOL! Be careful Hank!

Edit: sp, as usual...

Cheers!

Rick... \:D :p \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#143615 - 09/13/03 05:57 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Paul Morrison Offline
Lifer

Loc: Canada
My best story... I was driving back home to the Bay from madison Wisconsin. I hit duluth, and was slowed down through the city, so I opened the windows and turned off the AC. After I got through, I shut them and then turned back on the AC.

I was cruising on the 4 laner north of the city, when I felt what seemed like a bead of sweat running down my forehead to my eyebrow. So, I went to wipe it away. Twas no sweat, twas a bumblebee. He nailed me, I swerved, corrected, pulled to the side. Made sure he was dead, then hightailed it for Twin Harbours. I am not allergic to bee-stings, but I swell up good anyways. I had a welt the size of a golf ball by the time I hit the McD's in Two Harbours. They gave me some ice, which helped and I limped home. But I was very lucky there was no one near me on the road. I was doing 70+ in a 65 mph zone and nearly killed myself.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143616 - 09/13/03 06:29 AM Re: Just got run out of town..
Zippo Offline

Loc: Australia
Posted by pdog1

Quote:
Can of hair spray + Zippo

VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry fellas, I'm currently busy. Would love to help though, really would.
\:D

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.