Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#143107 - 09/11/03 05:50 AM Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Forward Observer Offline

Loc: Maumelle , Arkansas,US of A
I am currently bidding on a new digital camera on E-bay and I have the high bid. I have set a limit of $70 more than my current bid.

I estimate my top offer to be about $100 less than I can buy the camera plus extra memory outright. If my bid remains the current high, I will save about $170 over buying it from a regular on-line source.

Just now I get an E-mail forwarded through E-bay mail service from another E-Bay member. This guy says he is the the marketing manager for Electronics firm out of Prague in the Czech Republic. His line is that his firm is surveying E-bay auctions and if I am interested I can buy the identical camera to the one I am currently bidding on right now at a Price $5 over my current bid.

He then indicates that we will deal direct and I assume that he means outside of E-Bay.

First of all I am not going to order anything from over seas, and secondly the whole thing sounds fishy to start with. I immediately reported it to E-bay as unsolicited commercial spam, and they mailed back that they would take action.

It was all done through E-bay form responses so I can only assume that this is a common occurance for them.

Anyone experience this before?

Since someone reported a Paypal scam a few weeks ago, I have gotten bit paranoid about E-mails from even recognized organizations. I get an E-mail form Paypal about every other week now, but so far they have appeared to be normal Paypal spam asking me to use and promote Paypal.

The internet is truely a scummy place at times.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143108 - 09/11/03 05:57 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Hentzau Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida USA
Never happened to me, i'm real leary of bidding and then covering a bid range though. I don't see how they could prevent the seller/his friend from bidding you up. I usually only try and snipe at the last minute or so.

I never click on links for ebay or paypal from inside any email. I go directly.

Top Bookmark and Share

#143109 - 09/11/03 06:10 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Speedo Offline

Loc: NC USA
I've gotten similar things before.. I do believe its against eBays rules. Even if it was perfectly on the level I don't think I'd trust it.
MSI GF8800GT 512MB
Creative X-Fi
2x Samsung SATA2 80Gb striped
Seasonic 600W PSU

Top Bookmark and Share
#143110 - 09/11/03 06:13 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Archangel Offline

Loc: Canada, eh!
Don't trust it. If something goes wrong, you're screwed. Did the email have the guys ebay username? If so, I'd report him to ebay and get hin booted....

But then again, I'm a prick \:\)
- Mrs. Archangel

Top Bookmark and Share
#143111 - 09/11/03 06:15 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Forward Observer Offline

I've worked it both ways. Bidding directly at the last minute and using the bidding proxy system. Of course there is nothing keeping someone from driving the price up, but since they don't know my ceiling they run the risk of loosing my purchace if they go over my ceiling.

It's pretty much a two way street. Sure, I hope the price stays where it is, but even if I hit my ceiling price, I will have saved about $100 or close to 20% over the best discounted price I have found so far. Also there are at least 100 of this same model camera on E-bay right now, so I have the luxury of knowing that if I miss this one there are plenty more to try for.

My old man ran a used car lot for years, and he alway got the best of any deal. I just wish I was half the horse trader that he was, but I still got some of his blood in me.

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#143112 - 09/11/03 06:24 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Forward Observer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel:
Don't trust it. If something goes wrong, you're screwed. Did the email have the guys ebay username? If so, I'd report him to ebay and get hin booted....

But then again, I'm a prick \:\)
Yeah, I did report him along with his mail service and all routing headers. E-bay instructs you how to do this in their complaint system. They said they might suspend his membership for what that's worth.

At least I feel better about doing the right thing.

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#143113 - 09/11/03 09:28 AM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
tony draper Offline

Loc: newcastle/united kingdom
Was bidding yesterday for a cctv camera,seemed to be very little interest in the item, but I been stung before, so I slipped me bid in about two seconds before the end, and some twat still beat me.
One has to be exceedingly sneaky on ebay. \:\(

Top Bookmark and Share

#143114 - 09/11/03 03:56 PM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Paul Morrison Offline
Lifer

Loc: Canada
My roomate had a similar thing happen, except it was a good thing.

He was bidding on 256 MB RAM, and he ended up winning, but a guy from montreal sent him a message that he could get him the RAM for X amount (close to his winning price). So he ordered both and I bought the second one from him. Happy endings for everyone.

Top Bookmark and Share
#143115 - 09/11/03 05:02 PM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
U-96 Offline

Loc: Oxford, United Kingdom
Well I danced solid all night in the middle of a field and loved absolutely everybody. Got darned thirsty though.

oh wait, you said E-bay \:o

Top Bookmark and Share
#143116 - 09/11/03 07:03 PM Re: Has this ever happened when you used E-bay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its a scam. Few years ago, I got an offer for a PS2 for 30 dollars from Thailand. :rolleyes:

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.