Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Comments on three sound files?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1289523 - 11/12/03 12:27 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
HammFist Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado
My vote is #2. It has the highest sound quality on my system (#3 sounds tinny) and, unlike #1, clearly audible "pilot feedback" sounds (hits on the airplane, wheel touchdown, stall buffet). It could still use some work -- I would like the volume on gear movement, wheel touchdown, taxi "rattle" and stall buffet turned up some more on all aircraft -- not because it is realistic, but because it tells me things I need to know that I would normally feel (without having to look).

I don't have the eardrumsplitten AAA explosions, sonar sound, or distant gunfire sound issues that some have reported.

My sound card is an SBLive Value with the latest Creative Drivers and EAX turned off.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289524 - 11/12/03 12:46 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Stonehouse Offline

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
I'd put my hand up for #2 as well, #3 sounds much less rich and vibrant - sort of flat whereas with #2 you get to hear a lot more of the cues from your own aircraft. SBLive 5.1 DE with a Cambridge 4.1 speaker set.

Cheers,
Stonehouse

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289525 - 11/12/03 01:08 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
choxaway Offline

Loc: Plymouth UK
Two of you using SB Live Value, but which operating system? I'm still on 98se and as far as I can tell the most up to date sound drivers are still a few years old.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289526 - 11/12/03 01:11 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Aeronautico Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Has anybody noticed differences in between the .dlls from the leaked beta, and #2?

They date both October the thirteen, but the latter is one hour earlier...

A.

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289527 - 11/12/03 02:11 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
HammFist Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by choxaway:
Two of you using SB Live Value, but which operating system? I'm still on 98se and as far as I can tell the most up to date sound drivers are still a few years old.
XP Home here.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289528 - 11/12/03 03:18 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Old Navy Offline

Loc: Blacksburg, VA - US
Quote:
Originally posted by akdavis:
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Navy:
Peter,

Between the two new ones, there seemed to be differences in timing with firing, muzzle flash.
I choose #3 for the best overall. I didn't "reset" the sound after each new one, not sure that it is necessary.

My subjective overall impression was that the new ones gave less random scatter shake everytime you fired. Before, I always had to stop long enough to let the view settle down before firing again.
The sound file should not effect this. Recoil effects were reduced for 1.2 I suggest using no cockpit view to eliminate the effects of FPS stuttering from your testing of gun sounds. For example, if I fire the mk108s in the 262 with the cockpit on, the sound distorts horrible and my FPS drops down to low single digits. However, if I turn the 262 cockpit off and fire the guns, sounds normal and doesn't stutter at all.
I didn't realize that the upgrade would reduce the visual shake, but it sure does. I was preferring the #3 dll tenatively since it seems to not have have some of the timing flash/gun/ffb glitches for the planes I was having that problem with, like the P-47, P-39, Hurricane, and some other Allied planes.

\:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289529 - 11/13/03 01:16 AM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Stonehouse Offline

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by choxaway:
Sorry should have added Win2kPro SP2

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289530 - 11/13/03 12:52 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Tiger27 Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I had problems with #3 flying a g6as firing 30mm cannon it seemed to echo the sound after releasing the trigger, both files I can still hear outside but not nearly as loud as before and the big bang from the ship gun isnt very loud anymore.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.