Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Comments on three sound files?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1289513 - 11/11/03 07:34 PM Comments on three sound files?
Old Navy Offline

Loc: Blacksburg, VA - US
What are your comments and preferences between the three (machine gun?) sound files.

1) FB 1.11 version (mg_snd.dll)
2) mg_snd.dll in RC_02
3) mg_snd_.dll in RC_02

Personally I liked the third choice.

\:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289514 - 11/11/03 07:38 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Old Navy, what's different between #2 and #3 ? I can't tell...

Peter

PS: ok I only tested #3 for a minute or so...

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289515 - 11/11/03 07:55 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Old Navy Offline

Peter,

Between the two new ones, there seemed to be differences in timing with firing, muzzle flash.
I choose #3 for the best overall. I didn't "reset" the sound after each new one, not sure that it is necessary.

My subjective overall impression was that the new ones gave less random scatter shake everytime you fired. Before, I always had to stop long enough to let the view settle down before firing again.

Once again, subjective observations with P-47, Hurricane, and P-39 done late at nite. \:\)

Anybody?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289516 - 11/11/03 08:16 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
akdavis Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Navy:
Peter,

Between the two new ones, there seemed to be differences in timing with firing, muzzle flash.
I choose #3 for the best overall. I didn't "reset" the sound after each new one, not sure that it is necessary.

My subjective overall impression was that the new ones gave less random scatter shake everytime you fired. Before, I always had to stop long enough to let the view settle down before firing again.
The sound file should not effect this. Recoil effects were reduced for 1.2 I suggest using no cockpit view to eliminate the effects of FPS stuttering from your testing of gun sounds. For example, if I fire the mk108s in the 262 with the cockpit on, the sound distorts horrible and my FPS drops down to low single digits. However, if I turn the 262 cockpit off and fire the guns, sounds normal and doesn't stutter at all.

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289517 - 11/11/03 08:22 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Anonymous
Unregistered

n°3 is the best,still far from realistic (sonar still up),but well...

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289518 - 11/11/03 08:54 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
NealG Offline

Loc: Tracy, Ca USA
I find a personal preference for #2; it seems smoother and cleaner. With #3, I get occasional popping and crackling from rear speakers....sound seems louder, harsher, with more treble. I actually like both new ones, in some areas, but as a personal overall preference, I'd say #2.

I did just change drivers for my Audigy 2 to the latest release, though, and even found myself liking the 1.11 sound after that. Except that occasional naval artillery gun going off in my ear... \:D

Edit: One other problem I have with #3 that is not present in #2 is the 'extended' machine gun firing; i.e., sound of firing continues 1 to 3 seconds after trigger release.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289519 - 11/11/03 09:00 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is realistic sound in a WWII cockpit? I would GUESS your own engine, guns, hits to your plane, nearby explosions, and very nearby plane engines/guns would be all you would hear. I don't think you would hear any AA firing sounds or planes coming up on your six at 200 meters and opening fire. Your only sound clue of this would be hits to your plane, something I don't get. \:\(
Of course, I'm only guessing.

Messerwulf out.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289520 - 11/11/03 10:12 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Old Navy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Messerwulf:
Your only sound clue of this would be hits to your plane, something I don't get. \:\(
Messerwulf out.
I'm getting these noises in spades since upping to RC_1 and RC_2. Before, in ver. 1.11 I was getting the stick ffb from the shots, now I get the sound, too.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289521 - 11/11/03 10:24 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm....are you getting bullet hit sounds when you suffer cockpit hits?

Messerwulf out.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289522 - 11/11/03 10:40 PM Re: Comments on three sound files?
NealG Offline

Loc: Tracy, Ca USA
Messerwulf: I have them back now with the new sound files, yes. Quite noticeably in both. Took me by surprise when I took my first combat flight with 1.2RC. \:\)

In fact, with #2, it seems I can almost tell the difference from the sound whether it is in the cockpit or the fuselage....but I am sure that's just my imagination.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.