Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » just another patch update.. ;)
Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1259485 - 12/20/02 04:10 AM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Anonymous
Unregistered

TopGun, it's your loss that you gave up so quickly on SF...
We all know the deal about how software is put out with bugs... the patch will come and you'll be back! ;D
By the way... are you assuming that LOMAC will be perfect out of the box??? ;D
Now you've left yourself with only the option of waiting on the sideline watching us work with with SF... while waiting patiently for LOMAC. Let me get this straight... willing to WAIT for an unproven sim, but unwilling to WAIT for a patch of a sim that was in your hands and reasonably useable... Curious... very curious...

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259486 - 12/20/02 04:35 AM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Switch Offline

Loc: Boulder, Colorado USA
2 things to say:

1. Thanks Andy for the explanation & diagram.

2. Jupiter... I've always wondered this.. just what in the hell IS a "Bollocks"?

Switch

------------------
"Your ordnance is inbound"

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
Allied Independent Fighter
---------------------------------

Top Bookmark and Share

#1259487 - 12/20/02 05:46 AM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the answer Andy, mow I can't wait to try this against SAMS.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259488 - 12/20/02 11:27 AM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Guderian Offline

Loc: People's Republic of Sweden
Thanks for the explanation Andy. I kind of guessed about the Pulse-Doppler stuff, but I think beaming is also recommended (by some sources) because it forces the missile to fly an longer (arcing) path towards you. However for this to work, the missile must fly lead pursuit AFAIK. Did 1960s era SAMs (or AAMs for that matter) use lead or pure pursuit? When Wild Weasel arrives with the patch I think we will need all the information and tricks we can get...

One advantage of the maneuver you described is that it should be easier and less disorienting to fly in the sim than a beaming maneuver, since you are keeping the missile in your front quarter/view. I have lawndarted myself quite a few times in Falcon when trying to beam missiles.

BTW, you mentioned that this was a maneuver used before the introduction of ECM pods. Does this mean that ECM pods changed evasion tactics?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259489 - 12/20/02 01:23 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Porkchop Offline

Loc: Parma, OH, USA
Holy Cow !
Gettin pretty hard to find any patch news in this thread. Of course this coming from "Mister Off Topic" himself Lets hear some fresh patch news eh ?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259490 - 12/20/02 02:49 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Andy, that graph is excellent. As an aside, was this SAM-evasion technique developed by Robin Olds? I seem to remember reading somewhere that he came up with this defensive maneuver.

------------------
"I've just had eighteen straight whiskeys. I believe that's a record." -- Dylan Thomas, three days before his death in 1953.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259491 - 12/20/02 02:56 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
KraziKanuK Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Switch:

2. Jupiter... I've always wondered this.. just what in the hell IS a "Bollocks"?

Switch

The part of your manhood if they were removed that would give you a squeeky high pitched voice.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1259492 - 12/20/02 03:47 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Andy Bush Offline

Loc: St Peters, MO
GE

In general, the SAMs of the 60s flew either a "lead collision" pursuit course or a pure pursuit course. The US Nike used the lead collision method while the Soviet SA-2 was guided by commands from the missile control van and flys straight to the target. I'm not an expert on SAM guidance, so if I'm off here, please somebody correct me!

The only "pure pursuit" A2A missiles that I know of are the early AAMs like the Sparrow 1 and Soviet Alkali. These were "beam riders", and as such came about as close to flying a "pure pursuit' course as anything.

This web site has good info on the early US SAMs.

http://ed-thelen.org/

Now...ECM pod techniques. In general, the idea with ECM is to let the pod do the work and not rely on maneuvering to defeat the missile.

In Vietnam, the early ECM pods put out a "cloud" of ECM signals that effectively "hid" the fighter from the missile tracking radar on the ground. This prevented the missile operators from "seeing" the actual aircraft radar return.

These early pods were low powered and as a result had a relatively small area of protection. Because of this, a flight of four fighters had to fly in a specific formation with exact spacing in order to gain max benefit from the ECM.

When we did this, the missiles supposedly would miss. I never got shot at by a SAM but I did fly this formation. I always though it would take great faith to fly along with a missile coming up!

One problem with early ECM pods is that they were designed to radiate their energy downwards from the fighter. Since this "downwards" direction assumed a wings level flight attitude, if the fighter rolled into a turn, the ECM energy was now directed away from the ground and its protection would be minimized.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259493 - 12/20/02 03:48 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Andy Bush Offline

Loc: St Peters, MO
Guderian

Please e-mail me at:

alfakilo@charter.net

Top Bookmark and Share
#1259494 - 12/20/02 07:55 PM Re: just another patch update.. ;)
Li'lJugs Offline

Loc: St. Cloud MN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frontman:
Top Gun,
No soup for you! Next!

LOL!!

Anyone know where I could find an amoire to replace one that has been stolen?

[This message has been edited by Li'lJugs (edited 12-20-2002).]
"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the ******* chase you. He will follow. "

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.