Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Initial impressions after 90 min
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1250888 - 11/01/02 11:09 PM Initial impressions after 90 min
Anonymous
Unregistered

This will be a classic imo.
Probably the best thing about SF is what it doesn't try to do or be.

It's doesn't try to be a technical nightmare with a huge learning curve.

It doesn't try to bring your system to it's knees.

It doesn't try to compete with any other sim directly.

It's very unpretentious in it's manner, and does what it sets out to do. Give you a taste of a unique period in aviation. This it does well.

The game runs fast and smooth, even at high settings.
The graphics are excellent in some areas and certainly adequate in all others. I have no complaints.

You can get in, and be flying right away with minumal fuss, which is very refreshing for a jet sim.

It's clearly got the "EAW thang" going on, and is going to have a long life span.

I'll give a detailed critique as I get to know the game better, but i'd say is a definate winner.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1250889 - 11/02/02 12:07 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Irish3 Offline

Loc: Bridgeton/St Louis Mo
ya, the F-4 in all it's beauty is fun to fly . As you noted the comparison to EAW, I agree, this one (IMHO) will have a long life.

Cheers,

Neil

Top Bookmark and Share

#1250890 - 11/02/02 12:32 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Platypus Offline

Loc: Clayton, CA, USA
Wow! Even Plummerx likes it! ;D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1250891 - 11/02/02 12:32 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Platypus Offline

Loc: Clayton, CA, USA

Top Bookmark and Share
#1250892 - 11/02/02 01:52 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Huey52 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I concur, with also about 90 mins under my belt now. This is One Fun Sim!!! The attention to detail is excellent and the immersion is right up there as well. I don't know why some folks are knocking the graphics as I find them first rate (granted I do have them maxed out). I'll be simming this one for a long time to come - as opposed to CFS3 which I am just about to package up for return. Well done TK !!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#1250893 - 11/02/02 03:28 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Hornit Offline
Contributing Editor

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
One big concern of mine right now is that there are a number of fairly big bugs and ommisions. Once we get these fixed and reintroduced to the sim I wonder how good its going to run then. I mean AAA and SAM's. Its gonna take some CPU to do it and graphically it will cause a small hit, but you don't know until its there.

Right now this runs smooth as silk on my machine and it would be nice for it to stay this way.

Hornit

Top Bookmark and Share
#1250894 - 11/02/02 05:34 AM Re: Initial impressions after 90 min
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus:

Not really a surprise, I usually find something to like about almost every sim I ever owned. I have never actually returned one, but have had to wait occasionally for the modders to work their magic.

Several more hours in this game and I haven't changed my opinion at all, in fact I am growing fonder of this gem.
It's realistic enough to please the senses but enjoyably playable in an easygoing sense.

Some folks get jaded by one game or another to the point they go years between games they can tolerate. That I will never understand.
I Keep every game I ever owned ready on the hard drive to play any time. I jump from one to the next and always have a good time.

Sure I can say which one is overall best, which has the best graphics, which best gameplay, realism, clouds, campaign etc, but that doesn't really matter.

Nobody can tell me I have to hate CFS2 because I like IL-2, or that if I like a spin in falcon 4, I must hate USAF.

The issue is strike fighters, and it's pretty friggin good IMO.

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.