Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Question for TK
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1234583 - 03/23/01 03:40 AM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aside topic here but related;

In contact with someone whom has a knock em dead flight model of the F4 Phantom for USAF, the first approaching accurate model for that sim. Am currently going through old USAF (real world) contacts for people with hands on F4 time to give commentary. Since there appears to be some base here, (attempting to project guilt... ) 10 minutes of time could really help this guy out. Will even provide loan of program if necessary.

Any takers? Any leads to contacts we may persue?

regards all,

dave
halifax, canada

[This message has been edited by sdtfmar (edited March 22, 2001).]

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234584 - 03/23/01 04:07 AM Re: Question for TK
Robey Price Offline

Loc: Shoreview MN
Quote:
Dave sez:

In contact with someone whom has a knock em dead flight model of the F4 Phantom for USAF, the first approaching accurate model for that sim. [snip] Any takers? Any leads to contacts we may persue?

Talk to me Goose...I've got USAF...have not fired it up in a very long while. Kept getting shot down over NVN.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1234585 - 03/23/01 05:04 AM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Guns!:
it's a great idea to include the hook, TK are you reading this?
If you include the hook now you will have less work to do for the U.S. Navy add-on

My reason for wanting the hook included is because they had them and I saw it on the back of this F4C which is Colonel Olds 64-00829 Mig killer.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234586 - 03/23/01 05:05 AM Re: Question for TK
DanW Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
"Coulda sworn my cable engagement at Kunsan in 1988 on runway 36 was due to wet runway with a hellaious crosswind. Previous guy had spun a doughnut during rollout."

You were at the Kun? Cool....Wolfpack tower from 96-97.

But I never had any guys take cables for wet runways They would just divert to Osan(like you had to twist their arms to do that

But, that was the 90's and they didn't seems to take as many chances as back in the 'day' I guess. So my statements were based on my experiences with the guys taking the cable.

The older barrier nets were called the M1-A1 I think..big net. Stopped using them before my time.

The newer cables are the bak-12 and a few others (I forget). At the EOR in Korea we had the old E1 cables too. I've been out for a while, so I forget the exact specifics...I'm sure they have changed over the years. I'm sure the real Peelots know more of the specifics

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234587 - 03/23/01 05:19 AM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Robey Price,

Can you e mail me at gopher66ca@yahoo.com please and indicate a return e mail where we can forward the flight model and details?

regards and owe you one,

dave
halifax, canada

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234588 - 03/23/01 01:59 PM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guns,

Here is a list of the countries that operate Ski Ramp carriers.

UK
Australia did but decommed in 80's
India
Italy
Russia
Spain
Thailand

They support mostly VSTOL aircraft.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234589 - 03/23/01 04:28 PM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry gabbys but I didn't ask that, I was actually talking about those metal ramps wich are used in land runways, they look and have the same purpose as their carrier equivalents but they're not fixed, in fact it's possible to assemble one in a couple of hours.
I have 70's a photo of a Tomcat using one, maybe it was just an experimental one. It's the sort of thing that could make the land based harriers (USMC/RAF) job much easier.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1234590 - 03/23/01 04:59 PM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guns,

Now I see what you mean. I have never seen that photo of the F-14 on a ramp. Is there anyway that you could post it?

I found this picture below, but it was done for Ski Jump feasibility testing of the Harrier.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234591 - 03/24/01 01:38 AM Re: Question for TK
Cat Offline

Loc: Somewhere....over the Rainbow
The U.S. operates ski jump carriers too, doesn't it? For the Marines? I know we put AV-8s on some type of carrier.

Miao, Cat

"The Amazing Ben" describing the Texas Rangers, at www.badassoftheweek.com .

&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;!

Top Bookmark and Share
#1234592 - 03/24/01 03:54 AM Re: Question for TK
Anonymous
Unregistered

The US does opperate Harriers off of their Amphibious Assault ships but they are not ski jump equiped. They did testing for ski jump ships but in the end designed regular flate tops.

Can anyone answer this for sure.

Here is a site with the US Navy ships.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/index.html

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.