Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1185585 - 12/26/02 01:28 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Kamikuza Offline

Loc: Yasu, Shiga, Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Slava:
Not to sound over simplistic, but re-install windows. If you still have the original installation from the previous motherboard/cpu then there could be too many things that could explain the slow performance.

Probably the best advice I've heard. When changing such major hardware as mobo, you really want to reinstall windows. You cant just uninstall all the old drivers for something like that, cos it ends up a bloody mess.

------------------
Eh?

Need some 3 view drawings for your skinning? Ask me - I might have them \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185586 - 12/26/02 07:43 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
DonB Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza:
Probably the best advice I've heard. When changing such major hardware as mobo, you really want to reinstall windows. You cant just uninstall all the old drivers for something like that, cos it ends up a bloody mess.

I've replaced MB's before without reinstalling windows. Did it on my 1.4ghz tbird computer with no ill effects. That computer runs fine.
Today i turned vsync off, replaced hyperions with 4.35 4 into 1's and removed cacheman optimization, changing selection back to "desktop computer" setting. Only turning off vsync increased FPS under Treemark complex.bat. Inspite of that trivial improvement in Treemark FR FPS in Il-2 went from 43fps to nearly 63FPS. I have no idea which if any of those changes are responsible for the improvement. I'm still looking for ways to improve performance on my 2400+ rig. Now Il-2 is starting to crash during quick missions. Starting from a fresh install of Win98SE may be the best way to go but is not a task to be taken lightly unless the computer is used exclusively for gaming.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1185587 - 12/26/02 11:14 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
wasp_123uk Offline

Loc: Letchworth, Herts, United King...
Hi Don,
I'm using an XP2400 and a 9700 graphics card with IL2 set at 1024x768 full graphics options @ x4 AA and x8 anisotropic. I'm getting 60-70 fps in cockpit (low over towns - 25-30).
In my experience, if you are not getting enough of a jump Then I would suspect that your FSB is not set correctly so that your cpu is running at a much lower frequency.
The other chaps are quite right about windows though. Windows can really play up after a mobo and chip change.
In your position, I'd start from scratch. Reformat, reinstall windows, reinstall IL2 and then double check that your FSB is set to 133 in the bios (2x133=266). I know from your earlier posts that this is not a path you want to take but it will give you a datum point to work from should the problem still persist.
Wasp

------------------
Wasp_123uk

123_Wespe_JG123 on hyperlobby

Don't be shy, visit Linton Dagget aerodrome, RAF 123's home airfield
RAF 123's home airfield
( er only, we're Jerries now )

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185588 - 12/30/02 06:14 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
DonB Offline

Loc: USA
Well I'm up to 63 FPS in my 1v1 test missions @ 1024x768 with 2xAA, trilinear filter and texture compression on. I also get 43FPS over seaside village in the crimea. TrackIR performance seems better too. I still haven't killed my current Win98SE install nor have I reinstalled Il-2. I have chosen to check that MB jumper settings are correct, correct install of 4 into 1 drivers and of GF3 drivers. This represents substantial progress from my starting point. Thanx for tips. I sometimes am getting flickering hourglass cursor when in desktop. Happens also on my other AMD board that also has VIA chipset. Anyone else seen this anomaly or know a cure?

[This message has been edited by DonB (edited 12-30-2002).]

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185589 - 12/30/02 07:24 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
TBird66 Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by DonB:

........., replaced hyperions with 4.35 4 into 1's ....

How do I find out which version of the VIA 4in1 I have installed? (I reinstalled so many Win98 ghost backups recently that I don't have a clue which version they have)

If I want to install an older version of the 4in1s, how do I do that? (just install the older ones over the newer ones?)

TBird

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185590 - 12/30/02 10:46 AM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Anonymous
Unregistered

You need to search registry to see what version of vias chipset drivers you have.

Is this blokes problem fixed yet?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185591 - 12/30/02 02:11 PM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Now Il-2 is starting to crash during quick missions. Starting from a fresh install of Win98SE may be the best way to go but is not a task to be taken lightly unless the computer is used exclusively for gaming.

bah - doesn't matter what it's used for. It's hardly a long or difficult job. windows 98 needs re-installing 1-2 times a year anyway so it's probbaly due a re-install anyway.

[This message has been edited by BigDom (edited 12-30-2002).]

Top Bookmark and Share

#1185592 - 12/30/02 04:06 PM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Coastie Offline

Loc: Va, U.S.
S! Sir, You said you get an hourglass on occassion while playing. This tells me that you are accessing your page file which it shouldn't be doing with that much ram. Try checking your virtual memory settings and setting it to 1024/1024. Don't let windows manage it. If your system is accessing the page file during play you do have a problem and it will be much slower.
If the above tip doesn't work I would also suggest a fresh install of windows. If you go this route I might suggest going to a good tech forum and asking the correct order of re-installation. I believe it is something like this:

windows + all updates
via 4 in 1's
dx 9.0
video drivers
sound drivers
I could be a little off here, thats why you should double check.

Best of luck sir,

Coastie

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185593 - 12/30/02 05:38 PM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
TBird66 Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDom:
Quote:
Now Il-2 is starting to crash during quick missions. Starting from a fresh install of Win98SE may be the best way to go but is not a task to be taken lightly unless the computer is used exclusively for gaming.

bah - doesn't matter what it's used for. It's hardly a long or difficult job. windows 98 needs re-installing 1-2 times a year anyway so it's probbaly due a re-install anyway.

[This message has been edited by BigDom (edited 12-30-2002).]

I bet he means that he got a bunch of applications installed plus he's got lots of data to save prior to a reinstall.

Anyway, I would recommend a complete reinstall, too.
IF you (DonB) do this, I would recommend the following procedure:

1) If it is possible, split your HD into partitions, where C: is exclusively for the OS and perhaps some smaller applications like a picture viewer or a zip-proggy

2) Get Norton GHOST, a very good backup-prog for Win9x and install it on one of the other partitions like D:

3) Put the newest drivers somewhere on D:

4) Copy the whole WIN98-CD on D: (Note the path)

5) Using a boot-disk, format C:

6) Install Win98 from D: (this way, when you have to install new hardware, Windows will never ask for the CD again as it now gets it's info from D:

7) Install all drivers (prior to the installation of windows I would rip out all cards like sound, net or usb. After the installation of Win, I would plug in one card after the other with tthe necessary reboots between; this way you know which hardware windows wants to install after reboot).

8) Install a ZIP-proggy

9) Setup your internet connection

10) Make a ghost-backup (which will be about 250MB, depending on compression). Save it on D:

You now have a running system (and a backup of it) with connection to the internet (to download new drivers for example)

11) Install your gaming-hardware (preverable on D: so you don't lose your profiles when windows crashes)

12) Install your favourite games (of course on E: or another partition). Test them, especially in regards to drivers. Change drivers if necessary

13) Make a ghost backup (on E: ). You now have a backup that will enable you to run your fav. games, even online.

14) Install your other games/programs (NOT on C: !)

15) backup

...and so on. Make a backup prior to everey installation of critical things, like gfx-drivers, VIA 4in1 or similar.
Burn the backups on CD to save space on the HD. (you can install the backups from CD)

At these early stages, making a GHOST-backup as well as reinstalling a perfectly running OS from the backup should take no longer than 3-4minutes (compare this to a complete reinstall with drivers and software..you see the advantage?)

If someday you want to reinstall an older backup, you probably have to reinstall some programs. Of course you don't want to lose all the settings in these programs (or maybe some games are patched/modded and you want to keep the patched version/mods).

Let's say "GAME A" is patched to version 3.
Just rename the gamefolder to "GAME Aold" and reinstall the game on the SAME partition.
Delete the new gamefolder, rename "GAME Aold" to "GAME A" and voilą, you can play the game without the need to patch it again or reinstall the mods (of course this is only for games that need to be in the registry of windows. IL2 doesn't need this, so no need to reinstall)

Sorry for the long explanation, I hope I didn't bore you or otheres

TBird

-of course the letters D: or E: are just examples. Use whatever partition you want, EXCEPT C:

- the reason to install all programs on other partitions should be clear: the more you install on C:, the bigger the backup gets (up to the point when it doesn't fit on a CD anymore). Furthermore you will lose all settings/addons/plugins etc. in these progs when you have to reinstall an older backup

[This message has been edited by TBird66 (edited 12-30-2002).]

Top Bookmark and Share
#1185594 - 12/30/02 06:58 PM Re: From P3 to AMD 2400+ & Performance Declined
Anonymous
Unregistered

S!

Pretty much exactly what I do, although I don't use ghost which adds a little time. However I can re-install windows and all the apps I need in about 3-4 hours so not too bad. Of course all my data is on D: too as is most software ( need a new bigger hard drive - running two 2 gigs atm so c: gets apps too ). Works a treat and best way of doing it .

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.